At Shadow Sound Studios recently, a collection of nurses, musicians, writers and doctors came together to celebrate one thing — the successful British tour of Joey Stuckey. The intimate gathering showcased his new single and video, Blind Man Driving. The humor filled video showed Stuckey hijacking a BMW to get to a performance. The single…
Retrowarehouse is a a blog and online magazine—Blogazine—historically focused on entertainment, mainly movies and music. It has been online continuously since its inception in 1998. With the 2014 relaunch, this site realigns its focus on a more regional target.
Today, our mission is to feature, stimulate, nurture, and provide a place for online discourse about culture, events, entertainment and lifestyle in Central Georgia, where the majority of our staff and contributors live, love, work, and play. That area includes Macon, Warner Robins, Fort Valley, Perry, Forsyth, and every town in Baldwin, Bibb, Bleckley, Crawford, Dodge, Dooly, Hancock, Houston, Johnson, Jones, Lamar, Laurens, Macon, Monroe, Peach, Pulaski, Putnam, Taylor, Telfair, Treutlen, Twiggs, Upson, Washington, Wheeler, Wilkinson, and Wilcox Counties.
A privately held and funded operation, Retrowarehouse publishes original content—reviews, profiles, trending topics, breaking stories, and more—created by a team based in and around Central Georgia, an area that has cultivated and nutured many acclaimed musicians, inventors, artists, actors, and sportsmen. Located at the center of this art- and culturally-rich region is Macon, home of an extensive pool of visual and performing practitioners.
Once dubbed “The Central City” by the New York Times, Macon is a place where warm and friendly people live! It is located in an area that has an almost timeless history dating back to at least 13,000 years before Europeans arrived, and it enjoys a virtually unmatched cultural heritage, considering its population density.
Standing prominently in the Macon downtown district is the City Auditorium, which is topped by the world’s largest true copper dome.
Sporting a rich musical heritage, Macon is the birthplace or hometown of such familiar names as the Allman Brothers Band, Randy Crawford, Little Richard, Mark Heard, Lucille Hegamin, Otis Redding, Jason Aldean, Mike Mills and Bill Berry of R.E.M., and violinist Robert McDuffie. Rapper Young Jeezy and alternative rock band September Hase were discovered in Macon, once a hub for Southern rock, because at one time it served as world headquarters for Capricorn Records.
The city is home to the
- Macon Symphony Orchestra,
- Macon Symphony Youth Orchestra,
- Middle Georgia Concert Band,
- Douglass Theatre Youth Jazz Ensemble, and
- Macon Pops Orchestra.
Noted historical sites in the area include
- Ocmulgee National Monument—the largest ancient earthwork mounds in Georgia,
- Fort Benjamin Hawkins—military outpost and trading post for the Creek Nation,
- Wesleyan College—the first chartered women’s college in the world, and
- Sidney Lanier Cottage—historic home of the poet and musician.
A diverse city, Macon features the
- Grand Opera House—at one time it housed the largest stage in the southeastern United States,
- Museum of Arts and Sciences—state’s largest multidisciplinary museum/only art and science cultural center,
- Tubman African American Museum—the largest of its kind in Georgia,
- Macon Little Theatre—the area’s oldest community theatre,
- Douglass Theatre—historically a preeminent entertainment venue for African Americans, and
- Johnston-Felton-Hay House—a National Historic Landmark called the “Palace of the South.”
Macon annually hosts these and more:
- International Cherry Blossom Festival—one of the top 100 events in the United States,
- Pan African Festival—celebrates African American culture,
- Ocmulgee Indian Celebration—celebrates Macon’s Native American heritage, and
- Macon Film Festival—features independent film.
This is just a small sampling of everything that is available in Macon and Central Georgia.
At Retrowarehouse, we love it here, and we’re on a mission to share with you all that this region has to offer!